“For me, both composing and improvising are an interplay between the calculated and the unanticipated: a reflection on a developed sound vocabulary – through planned or spontaneous interventions – and sounding out of an unconscious inner structure.” (Elisabeth Harnik)
Elisabeth Harnik, an Austria based pianist and composer has created a multi-faceted body of work by blurring genre boundaries through various collaborations in the field of improvised music, interdisciplinary projects and contemporary compositional works. She studied classical piano and later – with Beat Furrer – composition at the University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz. As an improviser she works within an electro-acoustic inspired sound-world, using specific preparations and extended techniques while pushing the limitations of the piano. Her performances draw from physicality and introspection, intuitive playing and high precision. Harnik´s unique approach to her instrument as well as to improvisation and composition has led to many concert invitations.
She is member of numerous ensembles for improvised music and has performed and recorded with a number of internationally recognized representatives of the contemporary jazz scene in Europe and abroad. She writes commissioned works in addition to her concert activities, and her compositions are performed regularly at concerts and festivals for new music.
Elisabeth Harnik is a Deep Listening Certificate Holder
[Center for Deep Listening at Rensselaer in Troy, New York http://www.deeplistening.rpi.edu/]
For detailed bio (English/German) in any particular length (focus improvisation / focus composition) please contact Elisabeth Harnik directly.
Awards and scholarships
- Andrzej-Dobrowolski-Composition Prize of the Province of Styria | 2022
- SKE Publicity Award Austria | 2017
- Composer in Residence 2013 at IZZM | Ossiach | 2013
- Artist in Residence at Eu-Art-Network Kunstsymposion | Oslip 2012
- Music Omi International Musicians Residency | New York | 2010
- International residencies grant of the county of Styria | Cologne and Chicago | 2010
- Artist in Residence at 13. Komponist/innenforum Mittersill | 2008
- Andrzej-Dobrowolski-Scholarship of the county of Styria | 2007
- Award of Appreciation from the University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz | 2007
- Austrian State Scholarship for Composition | 2007
- Since 2006 Working Scholarships
- Music Promotion Prize Graz | 2005
Musical education and studies
Music lessons from the age of five
Classical piano studies at the Academy of Music Graz
Composition studies at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz with Beat Furrer
2004 Bachelor’s degree for Composition and Music Theory with distinction
2006 Master’s degree for Composition (Musical Theatre with Beat Furrer) with distinction
2016 Deep Listening Certificate / Center for Deep Listening at Rensselaer in Troy, New York
Since 2011 Elisabeth Harnik is a lecturer for “Performance Practice in Improvisation” at the University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz.